question-icon

Does consumption of mosquito repellent cause death?

default
Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014
Question: My room mate drank allout liquid. Will it lead her to die?
doctor
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (40 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
In well equipped Hospital -May NOT die.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
It is sad to know this.
How much was the quantity you partner must have taken. ( since when the bottle was attached to the machine? Was it a newly opened bottle)

Allout contains Prallethrin and other substances like BHT, Perfume and kerosene.. Prallethrin is very toxic in insects only. Not much toxic in humans and other mammals.

There is no specific antidote for the contents.
The treatment will specifically be depending upon the symptoms and the signs the patient develops.

IF treated properly in a Hospital equipped to handle any emergency , she may not die.
Do not ask her to vomit as it contains kerosene too. Rush to the well equipped hospital. Tell the real story to the Doctors, Take the all-out bottle with the patient to determine the quantity she has consumed.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant (1 hour later)
she drank 2 bottles of liquid
doctor
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Rush to Hospital or call ambulance

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
2 bottles is too much.
You have to take her to the Hospital, in case of any untoward problems, there can be a police case and you all may be stuck into another problems.
You can call Emergency Ambulance, inform her relatives and rush to the hospital.
No risks to be taken. Earlier the treatment best is the outcome.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 18095 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Does consumption of mosquito repellent cause death?

Brief Answer: In well equipped Hospital -May NOT die. Detailed Answer: Hi. It is sad to know this. How much was the quantity you partner must have taken. ( since when the bottle was attached to the machine? Was it a newly opened bottle) Allout contains Prallethrin and other substances like BHT, Perfume and kerosene.. Prallethrin is very toxic in insects only. Not much toxic in humans and other mammals. There is no specific antidote for the contents. The treatment will specifically be depending upon the symptoms and the signs the patient develops. IF treated properly in a Hospital equipped to handle any emergency , she may not die. Do not ask her to vomit as it contains kerosene too. Rush to the well equipped hospital. Tell the real story to the Doctors, Take the all-out bottle with the patient to determine the quantity she has consumed.