Does constipation for four days require medical attention?

Pediatrician
Question
Hello Doctor, Hope you remembered me, my name is "xxxxxxxx".

Baby is doing good and active.
Baby age: 1 month 2 weeks.

Mothers milk got stopped 1 week and we are feeding formula milk and at night once mothers milk. Last 4 days baby did not go for motion but urination is good. is this any concern.
Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern but try to switch back to breast milk

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking me once again. Yes, I remember you.

It is good to know that the baby is doing well. For a baby of this age, it is normal to pass stool several times a day or even after each feed. Alternatively the child may pass stool once in 10 days and that is normal too. Unless the stool is hard and pellet like, you need not grow concerned. The fact the urination is good, is reassuring.

It is not a good thing that mother's milk has been stopped. Let me emphasize on the fact that breast milk is the best possible milk for a baby and there can be no alternatives for the same. Most formula milks are cow milk based and hence difficult to digest. Moreover they make the child more prone to complications and infections. Mother's breast milk is produced on the demand of the baby. Hungrier the baby, more vigorous is the suck. More is the suck, more is the amount of breast milk produced. Giving formula automatically reduces the demand of the baby and thereby the production of breast milk. All you need to do is to switch back to exclusive breast feeding and the production will increase automatically. All you need to do is to monitor the urine output.

Feel free to write back.

Follow-up: Does constipation for four days require medical attention? 37 minutes later
To switch back to breast feeding our concern is if we give some mothers milk and then if quantity is less can we feed formula milk or one feed mother milk and then next feed formula milk?

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have no reason to become apprehensive

Detailed Answer:
You just need not bother about the quantity. If on exclusive breast milk the child will get the amount it requires (since breast milk is produced on demand). Any amount of formula milk will simply compromise the demand and therefore would depress breast milk production. By being apprehensive and giving formula feeds you are simply opting for a far worse option and are jeopardising the health of your baby.