Does consanguineous marriage increase the chances of hereditary disorders in children?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I want to marry a blood relative and he is my brother in law his blood group and my blood group are o+ve and during pregnancy any problems may arise to the mother and children and we have heard that children will born handicapped is it correct or not .if correct are their any treatments or medicines available
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes,it is true.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.

Yes,usually we should avoid consanguineous marriage (blood relation marriage) because it may increase the chances of hereditary disorders.

So in your case also you should take care during pregnancy because there is no such modifications which can avoid it.

Better use folic acid in preconception period.
Hope found useful, feel free to ask more information.
Good luck.