Does cold cause nodules in lungs?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: CAN YOU GET SPOTS ON YOUR LUNGS FROM COLDS OR INFECTIONS THAT COULD BE MISTAKEN FOR CANCEROUS NODULES ?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nodule/mass is a distinct area of change

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The cold most usually only affects the upper airways and not the lungs.

Bronchitis affects the airways (bronchioles) and not the lung tissue itself (this is pneumonia).

Bronchitis may show changes along the airways but is not associated with a distinct mass.

With pneumonia, there may a generalized change in the area of the lung affected. This normally shows up as a ill defined whitening area in the lungs.
It does not normally show as a distinct mass.
The borders of the area affected are not distinct.

A nodule or mass is normally a distinct, well circumscribed area that appears different

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions