Does coffee cause constipation?

Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

Posted on Wed, 28 Jan 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I drink several cups of coffee a day. I don't it should be a problem... however I feel myself a little bit constipated.
can it be because of coffee?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It might not be related to coffee.

Detailed Answer:

From my personal and clinical experience, I doubt any relation between coffee and constipation. But there are few articles stating that coffee acts as a diuretic and draws liquid out of the stools making it harder and thus constipation.

But there are many other causes too causing constipation which needs to be looked into. They are low fibre diet, lack of water consumption, regular consumption of oily and spicy food, stress, lack of physical exercises.

I would suggest you to drink plenty of fluids like water and beverages that do not contain caffeine. Have high fibre diet. Follow regular physical exercise routine. This should help in improving constipation.

Hope this answers your query. If any further clarifications, will be happy to help you.

Regards.