Does clonazepam interact with Temazepam and Benadryl?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I had Brain Surgery 5+ years ago. I had a tumor that was cancerous with many diffuculties since. My Nurologist kept giving me RX for any symptom that I had. So, did my primary care doctor. I asked them repetedly if this medication was safe to take all together, they told me it would be fine. However, they just keep adding
RX to the list. I am wondering how I can get off some of these medications safely. After I had my brain surgery I could not sleep unless I took medication...I would stay awake for 6-8 days at a time. So they came up with this sleep concoction, but then started adding to the list. However, sometimes I can take all of my nightly pills and not go to sleep, othertimes I take them and sleep until morning, but most of the time I take them and sleep until 2:30 a.m. . I always take my medication between 9:30 - 10:00 p.m. I recently have seen a Sleep Specialist and he looked at my MRI and said that I have permanent damage on my left temperal lobe from the Brain Tumor and it is something that I will have to live with; however, he did say that all of these medicines mixed are dangerous. What can I do as an alternative, my doctors will not give me a different option. I do have a pain specialist and he is open for suggestions, but does not know how to get me off of these medicines saftley or what to put me on as an alternative.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I agree that these medication regimen you are on is complex and can be simplified to avoid interactions. The first thing I would do is consolidate all your benzodiazepines -- alprazolam, clonazepam, and temazepam -- into one benzodiazepine. There is absolutely no reason to be on all three. At the very least, you should transition from alprazolam, because it has a short half-life and is likely causing you to wake up after a few hours when it leaves your system. I suggest asking your doctor to raise the dose of clonazepam while simultaneously decreasing the doses of temazepam and alprazolam. If sleep is still a problem, you could take higher doses of Benadryl, up to 200mg nightly.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T