• question-icon

Does cervical spondylosis cause headache?

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: HI I have whiplash from an accident 2 years ago. I have a very bad headache that only occurs for a few moments when I stand from being bent over. It it like "wham" to the top part of my head above my ears. It first started just around the skull cap but has come down a bit. I just had physio on my neck and right side back. My neck is still very stiff and the left side (so other side) of my back roughly over my kidneys is very sore.

thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to cervical spondylosis.

Detailed Answer:
The headache related to change in position of head is likely to be related to stiff neck and spondylottic changes in the cervical spine.
It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.

X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Hi

These headaches are such that I worry about them causing a stroke - is that possible
thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stroke not likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If there is no other cardiac abnormality or hypertension or diabetes then chances of stroke are remote just due to this headache.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon