question-icon

Does cannabis have any side effect causing retina tear ?

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2012
Question: I am a medical cannabis patient and I recently found out I have a retina tear, which I need to get surgically remedied before it potentially progresses into retinal detachment. Does cannabis have a negative effect on this particular condition?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra (6 hours later)
Dear Maxmier.

Cannabis is not known to cause retinal breaks or cause negative impact during the treatment.The tear is to be managed according to the size and accompanying features.If it small and more posterior then it can be walled off with laser.If it is more in the front then it is frozen by cryoapplication,that is freezing the surrounding area by about -90 degree so that the area is stuck up to the surrounding tissue. This stategy is to be decided by the treating retina expert.

Please get back to me in case of any query.
Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist