Does butterbur help cure tinnitus?

Posted on Fri, 6 Oct 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Does herb usnea,nettle Rt Butterbur help sinus? I have tinnitus. Will it bother that?
Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
further necessary information

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for contacting with your health concern and after going through the herbs they are mainly used in Chinese medicine with following benefits:

1. Usnea: the only side effect is dermatitis o topical use and there are no other known side effects with this herb and no reported interactions with any common medications and thus is safe to consume, it is available either in capsule or tincture form.

Dose: in capsule form: 100 mg thrice daily
in tincture form: 3-4 ml thrice daily

PS. since aids in the immune system thus is a good choice to treat a sinus infection

2. Nettle: the herb has strong antioxidant properties by virtue of which it reduces sinus cavity inflammation and protects against allergen attack, you can either make tea from the leaves or can buy capsules online

3. Butterbur: contains anti inflammatory properties that inhibit leukotriens [the chemicals responsible for allergy] and thus butterbur leaf extract has alleviated symptoms of discomfort and irritation in throat and nose

Dose: 50 mg once daily

PS. since the leaves contain Pyrrolizidine alkaloid [PA] which damages the liver so use only that product of butterbur which is labelled as PA free

4. since these are traditional/natural medicines but still require physicians advice for right amount of dosage, so consult a Traditional Chinese Practitioner [TCP] for any untoward side effects and also because very limited studies/clinical trials and scientific research has been done on the mentioned herbs role in sinusitis symptoms so consult a TCP before using the drugs

PS. patients with bleeding disorders and diabetes should take extra precaution

5. since you are suffering from tinnitus thus initially check with an ENT Physician to exclude the causes of the same and if examination/investigation comes out to be normal only then start with the medicine under the regular supervision of your certified TCP Doctor.

6. Preventive/Prophylactic treatment and Management which can be done is:

i. Avoid Heavy, slimy and acidic food, curd, mustard oil, excess physical exertion, sunlight-dust areas, exposure to strong winds, day sleeping, smoking, potato, green leafy vegetables. Cold water/food

ii. Take: Old brown rice, soup of moong dal, black grapes, cow’s or goat milk, garlic, lukewarm water to drink, black pepper, dried ginger, honey, mulethi, launga

iii. Take Raw ginger+ raw turmeric: [2 gm each] and fry in cow’s ghee [6 gm] and thereafter add 6 gm jaggery and take at bed time [during night]

7. Take high protein diet: soymilk, pumpkin, squash, watermelon, peanuts, almonds, if non-vegetarian (meat) are choices, legumes, sprouted pulses/cereals, milk with protein powder [since blockage of nose is an issue thus yogurt and beans are not recommended] and deep breathing Exercises [anulom vilom]

- Vitamin A: helps to maintain Thymus gland which is a powerful antiviral gland: thus XXXXXXX carrots, cantaloupe, egg yolk, apricots, pumpkin, papaya, are ideal.
- Vitamin C: is needed for proper functioning of the immune system: Amla is best.
- Vitamin E: is a powerful anti oxidant which helps to stimulate antibody production: peanuts, dried apricots, cooked spinach, taro root can be taken.
- Vitamin B is important for the activity of phagocytes: eggs, cheese, pistachio, raw garlic, sunflower and sesame oil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist