question-icon

Does bupropion cause a false positive for illegal drugs?

Posted on Tue, 11 Mar 2014
Question: I have to take a 5 panel drug test. I have been prescribed Bupropion and Effexor for years, will they cause a false positive for illegal drugs?? It is a Urine Test
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh (28 minutes later)
Brief Answer: It is possible. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Bupropion has sometimes produced a false positive drug test for amphetamines. Effexor can produce false positive tests for amphetamines and phencyclidine. Most five panel tests screen for cocaine, cannabis, opioids, amphetamines and phencyclidine. Hence there is a chance that you may test positive. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Preeti Parakh

Addiction Medicine Specialist