question-icon

Does bulky cervix in an ultrasound report indicate cancer?

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015
Question: Hi i am 26 year old i have got an ultrasound done that says bulky cervix is that cancerous?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma (41 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be cervical cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.

Bulky cervix in ultrasound can be present in:
1. Cervicitis, in which there is hypertrophy due to infection.
2. Hypertrophic cervix due to childbirth
3. Very rarely it can be due to cancerous growth in the cervix.
I would suggest you not to worry and do consult an OBGYN specialist to get properly examined and investigated (using vaginal smear, pap smear, colposcopy and cervical biopsy if needed). These tests will help narrow down the diagnosis.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine