Does bug repellent spray causes red itchy dots on arms and legs?

Question
my son has red itchy dots on his legs and arms, but he only gets it when he goes out side. what is this? oh by the way I spray him with bug repellent
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be an allergic reaction.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

It seems to be an allergic reaction.Since these red itchy dots appear only in his legs and arms (probably in the exposed area) something is causing this allergic reaction to him.

In my opinion there are 2 options:
1) Your son is allergic to something (tree,flower etc) in your outside environment
2) He is allergic to this bug repellent you spray him.

First thing to do is don't spray him when he goes outside and if the red itchy dots still appear then it is clear that bug repellent isn't the problem.

You can use an antihistaminic like Benadryl to relieve the symptoms.

I suggest to consult an allergist.Your son need to do allergy tests to identify the environmental agent which is causing this allergic reaction.
Once identified it,he should avoid the contact with it.

Hope my answer has helped.
Let me know if you have any further question or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.

Regards!

Dr.Rovena Murati