Does blood donation cause frequent neck pain and back pain?

Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Question: I am 32 years old women. In last July I donated blood. And recently one of my friend's mother was in need of blood. When i went to the hospital they told me my heamoglobin in only 10 and I am not eligible to donate blood. If that is the case how did a blood camp took blood from me in the month of July(5 months before) . I rencently experience frequent neck pain and back pain(particularly when I bend without any support and do some household work). Is it because I donated blood before 5months without enough heamoglobin count. How to get rid of this pain. I am a mother of two kids(one 6 years and one 2 years).
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Donating blood will not cause pain in neck/ back. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. First of all, for a person to donate blood his/her hemoglobin must be more than 10gm. Blood donation by itself does not lead to neck or back pain. Pain in neck and back may be due to weakness in muscles , nerve rood compressions or disc-prolapse or any pathologies in vertebrae. It is possible that 5 month before, when you donate blood, your hemoglobin was more than 10gm but, in mean time your diet was no up to mark, which leads to decrease in hemoglobin now. If you have any doubt you can go to some good lab to get again hemoglobin level check. In the mean time apply hot packs in morning and in evening for 30 mins. Usually neck pain and back pain is managed with pain-killers till 1 month period. If it persists beyond 1 month, then further investigations are done. Since you have a bad pain I will suggest the following: - Neck and back pain can be due to many reasons. Now you get your x-ray of cervical and lumbo-sacral region in AP and Lateral view done. Send me report or discus it with your doctor. Only then further management can be advised. - Avoid heavy weight lifting pushing and pulling heavy objects, because it will further increase neck and back pain. - You can take medicine like painkillers + muscle relaxants by discussing it with your doctor. You may need stronger pain-killers which are available on prescription only. You can try ibuprofen or naproxen till you see your doctor. Take balance diet , include green leafy vegetables in your diet. If you can take non-veg diet it will also help. No need to take iron tablets without prescription of doctor, because they are not needed if hemoglobin is 10 gm or more. I hope you have get your answer. You are welcome to ask further health related query. Thanks. Dr Singh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 15 hours later
Thank you very much doctor for your reply. I am satisfied now with the fact the blood donation did not cause these pain. I am trying to take diet that will have rich iron content. I recently avoided non veg considering my weight . I am right now 68kgs and height is 164cms. I used to lift heavy weights in tha past and recently avoided because of the pain especially when i bend and do work. I experience neck pain when I give pressure to my fingers (when I scrub vessels with more pressure) or brush my clothes. Nowadays I avoided doing those works. So with good diet will my condition improve or I should avoid do all these works going forward. FYI I work as a IT Consultant and I will with computers for more that eigght hours and I work for past 9 years.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Avoid heavy weight lifting. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for query again my friend. You should avoid weight lifting. Because you have back and neck pain this means weakness in muscles , nerve rood compressions or disc-prolapse or any pathologies in vertebrae as i already explained you. You work as a IT Consultant and with computers for more that eight hours and I work for past 9 years. This prolong siting in front of computer is also a big reason of your back and neck pain. So you must take brief walk for 10 mins every one hour you spent in front of computer. This will definitely help you. In the mean time apply hot packs in morning and in evening for 30 mins. Usually neck pain and back pain is managed with pain-killers till 1 month period. If it persists beyond 1 month, then further investigations are done. Since you have a bad pain I will suggest the following: - Neck and back pain can be due to many reasons. Now you get your x-ray of cervical and lumbo-sacral region in AP and Lateral view done. Send me report or discus it with your doctor. Only then further management can be advised. After pain management your doctor will advise you some static spine and back exercises which you may also learn from you tube.These exercises will strengthen your back and neck. - Avoid heavy weight lifting pushing and pulling heavy objects, because it will further increase neck and back pain. Also avoid prolong siting in-front of computer as I have already explain to you. - You can take medicine like painkillers + muscle relaxants by discussing it with your doctor. You may need stronger pain-killers which are available on prescription only. You can try ibuprofen or naproxen till you see your doctor. Take balance diet , include green leafy vegetables in your diet. I hope you have get your answer. You are welcome to ask further health related query. Thanks. Dr Singh.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E