Does bismuth subsalicylate cause any increase in GGT levels?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can bismuth subsalicylate from Pepto Bismol impact GGT levels within 60 hours of taking medication? Albeit slight
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 41 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

There is no way for Bismuth Subsalicylate to cause any GGT increase as this medicine is not absorbed to the blood. It does only work inside the digestive tract. GGT is a liver cells enzyme which usually gets increased by alcohol intake, bile ducts obstruction, liver cirrhosis, liver tumors and many other diseases causing liver cells destruction.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 38 minutes later
Thank you for the quick response. Could the fact I was fighting an infection of some sort resulted in a slightly elevated GGT level? I was experiencing an upset stomach in conjunction with diarrhea for several days leading up to the blood being drawn. I am confused because I lead a healthy lifestyle, drink very little and I am not overweight. Like I mentioned previously, the level was only slightly elevated.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
Hello!

Slightly elevated GGT is usually nothing to worry about. It can appear due to infection, intestines irritation (like diarrhea), some medicines intake (even those for infections). As it takes from 3 weeks to 3 months for the liver cell to get regenerated, it is advisable for you to have GGT level repeated in a month or so.

Regards.