• question-icon

Does atrial fibrillation recur?

Posted on Fri, 28 Nov 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: I had a cardiac ablation on August 11 for paroxymal afib. In a follow up visit yesterday, my cardiologist said the results of my two-day heart monitor showed no signs of a fib. He said my ablation was a success, and took me off coumidin. My question is: is my a fib likely to recur at some point in the future? And what can I do to decrease the likelihood of a recurrence? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Atrial fibrillation may recur in 10-20% of cases.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

Unfortunately for you in about 10-20% of cases atrial fibrillation may recur within first five years. You can't do anything to prevent this. Only thing you can do is to do a healthy life and to control BP and other risk factors.

Hope this was of help!
Dr. Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist