Does anxiety disorder cause higher glucose readings or raise CRP?

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: Will an anxiety disorder cause higher glucose readings? Or raise my crp? Anything i should be concerned about on the attached labs
Follow up: Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 3 minutes later
Anything i should be concerned about on the attached labs
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

C-reactive protein usually indicate any infection in body and it does not increase in psychological disorder or anxiety. Blood glucose level could be increased due to stress or anxiety. During anxiety or stress, corticosteroid hormone level increases and it could increase the blood glucose level.

In your reports, fasting glucose is marginally increased, but Hb A1c level is in normal range. That's showed it could be due to stress related increase in glucose level. With time, it would come down. Slightly increase in C-reactive protein may be due to any infection. With time, it would also settle down. Otherwise, there is no issue in your reports.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist

Follow up: Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 5 hours later
My lymphocyte count was 49 percent of my total blood count. White blood count 6800, lymphocyte count 3343. Red blood cell count 5840. Is this cause for concern, I was bitten by 3 bees a day or two prior to the blood test FYI. My fasting blood sugar was also 106. Been testing is daily since and it falls normally around 85-89 every morning. Should I look further into my blood results. All other counts came in perfecting normal along with liver and kidney function. My CRP was 1.1 % as well.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need for further tests

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Increase in lymphocyte and CRP in your case could be due to bee bite. It is sign of inflammation or infection. That would come to normal level in few days. There is no need to get further investigations. Your tests are normal. High fasting glucose could be due to high corticosteroid or stress. So be relax and it would become down.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist