Does antenex has got different component than other anti depressant?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: HI I find antenex best for me has it got a different componet than other anti drepressives
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: belongs to a family of drugs called benzodiazepine Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Antenex is the product name for the drug diazepam. This drug , antenex/diazepam (also known as valium) is a member of the family of drugs called benzodiazepines. It is commonly used for short term treatment of anxiety, muscle spasm, insomnia as well as other conditions.It is not typically considered an antidepressant. The reason that this drug and other drugs in its family are only used in the short term are: (1) tolerance - tolerance develops to all actions of this drug. This means that the body learns to tolerate the medication and more and more of the drug is needed to produce the same effect and (2) dependence- these drugs are potentially addictive and persons may come to depend on them AS stated it can be used in the short term for anxiety but is not usually used on its own for depression. In depression, it is sometimes used along with anti depressants till the anti depressant starts to work (it normally takes 2 to 3 weeks for most antidepressants to start working) Examples of antidepressants are paxil, zoloft, prozac, celexa- these belong to a different family of drugs called SSRI