Does an upper respiratory infection with pulse levels of 110 and O2 saturation at 90 require medical consultation?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 30 Nov 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have mild (I hope it is still mild) bronchiectasis. Right now I am suffering an upper respiratory infection. I keep track of my pulse/oz levels. Normally I am anywhere from the mid 60's at rest and somewhat higher during the day. My 02 saturation is usually 95-98% However, right now, probably due to the infection, my pulse is 100-110 and O2 saturation is down to the lower 90's. Is this cause for concern?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Yes, you should definitely consult your doctor for this.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, this is a matter of concern.

Bronchiectasis is very prone to lung infections.
These infections cause inflammation and bronchospasm.

This, in turn, causes breathing difficulty, fall in oxygen saturation and a rise in pulse rate.

So better to consult pulmonologist and get done prescription for an antibiotic. Azithromycin is the drug of choice for infection in bronchiectasis.

Along with azithromycin, NAC (N acetyl cystine) should also be started.

Please let me know if you are on any medications.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 35 minutes later
Thank you, doctor. Two days ago my GP put me on doxycycline 100 mg, twice a day. I have only been taking it for 2 days. I am seeing my GP later today. Is zithro better?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Yes, azithromycin is better than doxycyclin.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, azithromycin is better than doxycyclin. Also, ask for NAC prescription from your GP.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Kaushal Bhavsar, Pulmonologist