Does an unprotected sex with a clinically silent genital herpes partner possess risk of transmission?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Jul 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Ok last Friday my partner and I had sex she has genital herpes for abt 7 years. She has about one outbreak a year we always have used condemns. We had sex friday and for the first time the condemn came off and I noticed after a couple seconds to minutes the condemn was off and I stooped. She did not have any outbreaks no lesions are anything like that. I wanted to know was I at a little to no risk of beimg infected since she didn't have any problems with outbreaks are lesions at the time. And now I feel a little like nervous feeling in my leg calf area but no lesions on my genital area are no burning when I urinate I read article on proromal and I wondering on that part is it.just my mind has me feeling like I'm feeling a sensation in my legs because I'm thinking to much please can u give me feed back
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding risk of herpes through unprotected sex

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Unprotected sex with a female sexual partner with clinically silent genital herpes does pose a risk of transmission of herpes. Though the risk is less as compared to sex when there is an outbreak of genital herpes. In one of the studies the per-act-risk of HSV-2 for heterosexual men was found to be 0.015%.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 20 minutes later
So you are saying with my situation that happened the risk is real low. And the feeling in my lower leg and all that possibly be a mind freaking out type of thing from last Friday I'm just trying to make sure I understand what you are saying a little more in depth so I can stop freaking out. Never have received and answer to my second follow up question
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Low risk

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes. The risk is very low but not zero. It is about 1 in 6667 chance.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 11 days later
Ok it's been two weeks now I recently asked a few questions concerning a situation I had encountered with my girl. Briefly she has genital herpes we had sex 2 weeks ago she did not have any outbreaks are lesions at the time and still two weeks later nooutbreak we had sex and the condemn came off and when i noticed it was off i stopped and put a condemn back on. I been feeling a kind of irritated burn sensation in my penis feels like in the head area but not sure and it goes and comes. It also happens seems after I urinate it does burn when I urinate just after and thought the day I went to er they ran a urine sample and checked me everything was negative they gave me diflucan and antibiotic just in case because I was feeling the burning sensations I don't have any redness are lesions just this sensation last year I had the same symptoms and had a scope done inside my urethra nothing was found except a cyst small and it was same symptoms this has been on going but this time it has lasted a little longer than before if it was herpes wouldn't I have been had other physical signs and also burning when I urinate I'm just confused the.antibiotics haven't worked it confusing because it feels like the burn sensation is sometimes inside my penis are outside on the skin but no redness are physical signs I hope I gave enough detail
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding burning sensation in penis/urethra

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.

Doesn't seem to be genital herpes. Even if it is a prodrome of herpes, it is usually followed by genital sores in a day or two.
Perhaps it is a urethritis - could be a either non-gonococcal urethritis or perhaps chemical urethritis, due to cleansing with soaps etc. I suggest you to take Cap. Doxycycline 100mg, twice daily for a week.
Avoid soaps in that area as it can irritate anterior urethra. I also suggest you to take plenty of water and a urinary analgesic e.g Uricalm (contains phenazopyridine).

................................................................

Brief Answer:
Regarding antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Which oral antibiotic was prescribed to you?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 44 minutes later
So even though I have taken an antibiotic and diflucan I finished the antibiotic this past Friday and it still feels.the same you still suggest taking another round of antibiotic.
...................................................................

Sorry so long had to find the bottle I was prescribed sulfameth/to 800/160mg
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Non gonococcal urethritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Non gonococcal urethritis (NGU} is a possibility since as you say the condom came off and your symptoms started after that. NGU is commonly caused by either Chlamydia, Mycoplasma or Ureaplasma urealyticum. Trimethoprim/sulphamethoxazole is not a drug of choice for NGU. Doxycycline or Azithromycin are.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana