• question-icon

Does an undescended testes produce sperms?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Men's Health
Question: I had surgery for the case of undescended left testes at the age of 14yrs. How Long will it take for the testicle to start producing sperm and grow to the normal size of the right testicle?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Is already functioning but unlikely to grow to full size.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I would need to ask you what sort of surgery was done, was it removal of the undescended testis (most commonly done) or was the testis brought down into the scrotum and fixed? In case the testis was removed, the question of growing to normal size and producing sperms does not arise. However, if the testis was brought down into the scrotum, rest assured that it is functioning and is producing sperms. However, it may never grow to reach the size of the right testis.

I hope that I have been able to resolve your doubts. Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 16 minutes later
I'm 18yrs this year, but I haven't grown a single moustache or bearded on my face, should I be concerned about this.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chances are that no intervention would be required.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I do not think that you need to grow concerned. However, you need to bear in mind that the testis that underwent surgery would never function at the same level as the normal (right) one. Therefore it might be a good idea to get a review done from an endocrinologist. Chances are that no intervention would be required.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha