Does an increase in the use of mobile phones lead to increase in the risk of cancer in children?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 18 Oct 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my 1.5 year baby has always been using mobilephone since she was 8 or 9 months old. She is addicted to YouTube videos.. im worried if the so far exposure would cause or increase the risk.of cancer.. im.determined to.not give in.future.. wad abd the so far exposure... I.was also.using the mbile phones a.lot while was pregnant. Can.all these pose an.increased.risk.to.cancer?
Wad are.the precautions.to.be taken.for.reducing.radiation exposure?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Minimizing dependency is the way out.

Detailed Answer:

There is no evidence suggesting that increased use of mobile phones increases the risk of cancer. I would not be concerned about cancer. The same applies to use of mobile phones during pregnancy. However, increased use of mobile phones is known to cause mood instabilities and behavioral problems and that indeed is a cause for concern. Babies love interaction.

They love the interactivity and liveliness that YouTube videos offer, something that you yourself are supposed to offer through your interactions with the baby. When this is lacking, it becomes hard to do without the YouTube videos which you somehow use as a shortcut. You need to stop taking shortcuts and need to increase interactions with the child. You need to constantly interact with the child.

Regarding radiation exposure, once again, that is not a cause for concern. The concern is that continued XXXXXXX usage forces one to focus constantly at a short distance without readjusting the focus by looking farther. This creates eye strain and may lead to problems of vision. Minimizing looking at XXXXXXX screens is thus a way out.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Diptanshu Das,
Pediatrician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad