Does an enlarged prostate require a second medical consultation after two months?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: i am a 59 yr old XXXXXXX XXXXXXX diagnosed with an enlarged prostate and elevated p.s.a. numbers. the doctor wants to see me again in two months and re-test. is this the normal course of action?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:

Regular follow up every two - three months is normal course of action in case of enlarged prostate and high PSA. What is the PSA level? if it is more than 4 they have raised suspicion and ask for frequent follow ups.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 10 hours later
With a P.S.A. of 10 how likely is it that someone has prostate cancer?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely

Detailed Answer:
The level of PSA doesn't determine the likelihood of cancer but it raises suspicion for sure. Hence follow ups are done frequently.