Does an appendicular abscess require an operation?
Appendicular abscess needs to be drained
As per your history, I can infer that there is a formation of an appendicular abscess and that is why she has been operated and tubes that drain have been kept to drain the abscess.
Many cases of appendicitis respond well to the antibiotic and the problem may resolve to need an interval appendectomy.
In cases wherein the patient presents after 48 to 72 hours of an attack of appendicitis, this may progress first to appendicular mass which may transform into an abscess.
And abscess needs drainage. But it may be impossible to remove the appendix in many cases to avoid complications, this is a standard management protocol.
Please give some additional pieces of information:
Where are the tubes draining from - abdomen? Naso-gastric? Urinary?
When was she taken to ER after pain in the abdomen - immediately or after few days?
Please upload/attach any reports of ultrasonography/ CT scan/ blood tests if you have.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr T Chandrakant
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suffering from pain post operation of perianal abscess
- Abscess skin abscesses
- Symptoms of appendicular abscess
- Diagnosis of Appendicular abscess
- Drugs/medication for Appendicular abscess
- Treatment and cure for appendicular abscess
- Ishiorectal abscess
- Perianal abscess operation to remove follicle
- Scrotal abscess perianal abscess
- Appendicular abscess causes
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in foot from hip to toe
- Suggest treatment for gall bladder stones
- What causes pain and bleeding post rectocele repair surgery?
- Suggest treatment for gastritis
- What causes chest pain and abdominal pain?
- What does this ultrasonongraphy report indicate?
- What causes whitish color of outside of urethra?
- What causes skin growth on buttocks oozing pus?
- What does this EKG report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for darkened glans penis