Does an abscess with a swollen and hot spot require medical attention?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Several weeks ago a skin doctor froze 5 spots on my back to eliminate them. One of the spots was large. It was suppose to fall off within two weeks. As it begin to fall off, there was a loss of blood. Today an abscess developed next to the spot. The top was hot and swollen. Should I be concern about this spot? I have been putting alcohol on the spot to kill the infection but it has not stopped.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
It seems to have got infected.
I suggest a course of an oral antibiotic e.g either Amoxicillin or Cephalexin, for a week.
In addition to this you may use a topical antibiotic cream e.g either 2%mupirocin or 2% fusidic acid cream, twice daily.
These are prescription medications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng