Does an MRI scan detect brain metastases?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi again. This is another follow up. Thanks god the pet scan results were good and we were all jumping from happiness until we met the radio therapy dr today. He requested an mri for the brain which i dont understand why if the pet is normal. He said this a pre cautionary measure since pet doesnt show details of brain. He also requested 40 radio sessions. 10 for head and 30 for chest. My question is whether it is likely for the mri to find something new such as brain metastases and whether 40 session are normal and not a bit exagerated
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are almost no chance of detection of metastasis by MRI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

There are almost no chance of detection of metastasis by MRI as PET-CT has been done in your case and it is negative for metastasis.
You are rightly informed that PET-CT is not ideal for detailed structural analysis of brain.
Your doctor is taking extra precaution,so you are advised for MRI(Brian).MRI is done as baseline investigation prior to radiotherapy.It can be compared later if any complication develops later related to brain.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 8 hours later
Hi, what about the number of the sessions. Is 40 realistic?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,it is realistic.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Yes,it is realistic.
Total radiation dose is delivered in fractions to avoid damage to healthy tissues.It is generally given 5 days a week for 5 to 8 weeks.
Total radiation dose and treatment session depend upon many things like
size,type,location of tumour,general health etc.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX