Does amino acid supplement interact with diabetic medicines?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 17 May 2017 in General Health
Question: What are the hazards of taking amino acid supplements with diabetes meds?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Aminoacid effects in Diabetes;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
There are many studies that have tried to find the effect of aminoacid supplements in the blood sugar.
Many of them have approved the reduce up to 40% of glycemia while adding arginine.
Arginine improves glucose intolerance and the secretion of insulin from pancreas.
While tyrosine (another aminoacid) seem to have a contrary effect. The blood sugar tends to get higher in people who take tyrosine supplements.
So, i would recommend to take only Arginine supplements and monitor the blood glucose closely, if there is a tendency for hypoglycemia, lower the dose of tujeo.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T