Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

169 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Does allergy to tannins cause chronic hives?

Answered by
Dr. Ornela Ademovi

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 634 Questions

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi!
I am a 70 year old female in exceptionally good health and good shape for my age.
For as long as I can remember I have enjoyed a glass/glasses of red wine with my dinner,
Before dinner I usually have vodka on ice.
For several years I have been plagued with hives, which come an go and then leave me be.
Lately I have had hives which cause swelling in various limbs (legs, arms, shoulder blades).
My allergy specialist has ordered numerous blood tests . The only abnormal reading is that my
D-Dimr count is 3000 versus the XXXXXXX of 499. They have tested me for blood clots. Nothing found.
Could it be that I have developed an allergy for the tannins in red wines?
(I sure hope NOT, since that really would be a disaster for my wine cellar.)
Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Allergy to tannins unlikely

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Tannin allergy does not usually manifest with hives, but rather with headaches, jitters and anxiety, stuffiness, hot flashes, indigestion, increased bowel movement and stomach cramps. In this case, allergy tests hold the key to the culprit here.

D-dimer positive tests in the absence of blood clots are quite common after the age of 50. The tests you underwent safely excluded the existence of a clot, so I do not see anything to worry about as of now. If you repeat this test in a few months, in the absence of other symptoms, chances are it will still come back positive.

However, if you experience any sudden shortness of breath and strong pain, please see a doctor as soon as possible.

I hope this answers your question. I would be happy to answer any further questions you might have.

Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on