Does alcohol intake increases the pulse rate?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Wed, 31 Dec 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Is it normal when I drink alcohol that my pulse goes up between 100 and 120. I only drink about twice a month. But sometimes I'm fine and other times my pulse goes up and makes me uncomfortable. Sweating etc.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Intolerance to alcohol

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health care questions.

You are concerned that after drinking alcohol you feel uncomfortable and your heart rate increases. This is a sign of alcohol intolerance. Your body is having a difficult time metabolizing the alcohol. I recommend that you stop drinking as over time this effect will get worse and may cause damage to your body including your liver and heart.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact HCM again with your health related concerns and questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D