Does acid reflux cause sore throat?
Yes,acid reflux from stomach may cause throat inflammation (sore throat).
Thanks for your query.I have read your query and understand the concern.
The acid reflux is caused due to relaxation of the sphincter at the lower part of esophagus.
This refluxed acid sometimes enters into the respiratory tract and may cause throat inflammation (sore throat) with severe coughing and feeling heaviness in throat.
This kind of symptoms may get resolved with some appropriate over the counter medications with strict dietary precautions.
So,I will suggest you to take below mentioned drugs with some precautions and this combined effect will helpful to you.
1) Take proton pump inhibitors (pantoprazole 40) in combination with prokinetic drugs (levosulpride 75 mg or Itopride 150mg) rather than Pantoprazole alone.
The above combination drugs actually increases stomach emptying time along with effect on gasteoesophageal sphincter and for that,I suggest you to go to a nearby pharmacy and ask the pharmacist a brand or a pill with a combination of pantoprazole 40 and levosulpride (Brand name: Pantocid-L or Ganaton total).
2) Take over the counter antihistamines like levocetrizine 10 mg twice daily if you have coughing.
3) Take pain killer with anti-inflammatory combination (paracetamol and ibuprofen combination) for symptomatic relief from throat pain.
4) There are certain digestive enzymes (Uni-enzymes) available over the counter which will also be helpful in the digestion of carbohydrates and minimize the gas production.
Apart from medications, you will also need to follow dietary precautions.
1) Avoid oily,spicy and high fiber diet.
2) Avoid eating with full stomach rather you eat small frequent meals.
3) Avoid taking rest for 2 hours after meal.
4) You can walk slowly up to first 2 hrs of meal but don't walk fast.
5) You should make regular eating pattern.
6) Have your dinner before 8 pm so that at the time of sleeping your stomach will be empty.Keep your head end slightly elevated during sleeping if possible.
7) Regular yoga will also be helpful.
All this cumulative effect will be beneficial to you while treating for acid reflux and antihistamines with pain killers to fix sore throat.
We may expect improvement in your symptoms within 3 to 5 days with above drugs and precautions.
Thanks and regards,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Acid reflux effects on throat
- Acid reflux symptoms in throat
- Acid reflux throat tightness
- Acid reflux cause sore throat
- Sore throat and prednisone and acid reflux
- Acid reflux throat irritation
- Sore throat from acid reflux
- Acid reflux throat mucus
- Smoking cannabis with acid reflux sore throat
- Sore throat acid reflux symptoms