Does accidental double dosage of Metoprolol cause adverse effects?

Cardiologist
Question
I'm a 50 year old male. I'm healthy but I take 1ea 25mg Metoprolol ER Succinate every morning for what my primary care, cardiologist, and ep doctors describe as "safe" palpitations related to mitral valve prolapse. This morning, I may have only taken 1 tablet but it's possible that I had 2. Should I worry about any issues or just go about my day normally and take 1 tomorrow morning out of a daily pill counter box and not the bottle (so dumb today!)?
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that a double dose of Metoprolol, may lead to lower blood pressure and heart rate values.

This may lead to dizziness and light-headedness or increased fatigue. In such case having some rest and taking plenty of fluids would help.

Anyway, this is a really low dose of Metoprolol (50mg), and I don't think that any serious adverse effects will occur.

Tomorrow, you can continue to take your daily dose as always.

So, just relax and don't worry about it!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri