Does a swollen gland under the jaw bone require immediate medical attention?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 15 Oct 2018 in General Health
Question: My niece has been to the dr on Monday and diagnosed with an ear infection and given antibiotics. She is 4 years old. She has had a fever for 6 days now (Friday). She has a swollen gland under right jaw bone. Her mother has called dr twice to inform him that she still has a fever and he replies to “give it a little longer”. Does this seem like reasonable treatment?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Is she still having ear pain? What are her temperatures?

Detailed Answer:

Fevers after 4days on antibiotics are something to worry about.

However, is this fever still the same as it was during the beginning of her ear infection?

The swollen glands under her jaw. ideally on the same side as the ear infection, is normal and signifies that the body immune system is fighting against the infection.

For now, I will like to know how high her temperatures are and how high they were at the beginning of the infection. Then, use Tylenol to control her fever.

It can be administered as many as 4times. Also, let me know if she is still in severe pain and how it is compared with her earlier pain severity.

If the fever and pain and less compared to when the diagnosis was made, we have to be more patient as this is indicative of a good response to treatment. If it is not, then this might signal treatment failure.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 43 minutes later
Fever was 102 in beginning and tops out now at 101. We are giving acetaminophen and ibuprofen alternately. When I touch the gland or her ear she says it doesn’t hurt.
Thank you very much for your response!
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:

This shows she’s getting better!

Detailed Answer:

The reducing fever shows she’s getting better. Should this persist beyond 7days after the start of antibiotics should prompt further evaluation as it may signal antibiotic resistance?

Keep me updated about this.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Chobufo Ditah, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng