Does a sore thumb joint require medical attention?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I hurt the top of my lower thumb joint. Now, when I use it to turn a key in the door, or pick something up, it still hurts (2 months later). Would a splint help to prevent further injury from use?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A splint will help.

Detailed Answer:

Yes. The persistent pain in the thumb is suggestive of a tendon inflammation or a soft tissue injury in the area. A splint will help in preventing the further injury and will provide an extra support thus reducing the pain. Doing a hot compress will also help. You can remove the splint at night while resting.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon