question-icon

Does a sebaceous cyst in the groin area with no blood flow to it require biopsy?

Posted on Wed, 19 Sep 2018
Question: I have a Sebaceous cyst deep under the skin in my groin area per my Gyno. I have had it for about 5 months and just had a ultra sound and was determined that it is a mixed solid cystic lesion with no blood flow to cyst.
She has recommended that I have a biopsy done by a surgeon. Do you think this is necessary? It is not painful , just concerned.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (7 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Biopsy is pointless.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

It would be good to have it rather removed than have a biopsy. Although cyst sebaceous cyst usually does not turn into a cancer, there is a 5% risk of having a cancer in it. Moreover, cyst can very often become infected so it must be drained. That is why you should have it removed. Biopsy is pointless.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko,
General Surgeon
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon