Does a random blood sugar of 119 indicate pre-diabetes?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi Doctor.
I am 38years old and had a routine health check during July. My vitamin B12 and vitamin D was very low, so got supplements and treatment to improve the same. I am feeling much better now. The A1c test showed 6% at that time. 2 days back i got it tested again, it showed 5.9%. I also got Random Blood Sugar tested (pricking method) , it showed 119. Some say i am pre-diabetic, is it so? Please confirm. If yes, please let me know what per-cautions i need to take. I regularly go for a walk and my parents are not diabetic. My HB count has increased from 11.3 to 12.6
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
No its not diabetes or pre-diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Hi

There is neither diabetes or pre-diabetes. The test range can be a blur sometimes. You can confirm with a 2hr oral GTT test

No precautions needed for now.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 15 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your reply. So you are saying i am not a prediabetic at all, Can continue with regular eating habits. For curiosity i just tested fasting blood sugar which was 103 and Random blood sugar (after 1.5 hrs of meal intake) was 96. Does this infer that i am not a prediabetic nor a diabetic. Any changes to be made in my lifestyle, please suggest?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
For now you are safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

For now you can safely ignore the HbA1C levels. Let life take its course. Keep measuring the fasting blood sugar levels in a reputed laboratory every 6 months to 1 yr. Or measure it if there are unexpected symptoms like weight loss, weight gain, excessive urinating etc.

You can start regular exercise. That is most effective in preventing diabetes.

Dr Vaishalee