question-icon

Does a pimple with inflammation on the genitals indicate herpes?

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2019
Question: I had intercourse Sat night and this appeared Sun afternoon. I wasn't sure if it's herpes or maybe just a pimple / general irritation from condom or something else?.
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

A physical examination is needed to confirm the diagnosis

Detailed Answer:

In general, a person can only get genital herpes infection during intercourse with someone who has a genital HSV-2 infection.
Symptoms of herpes simplex consist in:

-Sores: One or more painful, fluid-filled blisters may appear
-itching, burning
-general symptoms flu like

Instead, the irritation from a condom is like a rash and does not have general symptoms. A physical examination can confirm the diagnosis in this case.

The treatment in case of genital herpes consists in :
-antiviral ointment for local relief
-prescripted antiviral tablets like Zovirax (7-10 days).
You should consult your doctor about these options.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (21 minutes later)
I was diagnosed 3 years ago with Herpes and Warts. since my diagnosis I haven't had intercourse til Sat night. I used a condom and wasn't having any issues st time. So when that appeared the following day i was puzzled whether it was Heroes again or just a pimple from irritation. Can someone who already has Herpes get it again or another strain Also? And if it is herpes, how long til the pimple or area usually changes to a sore or you know for sure it's herpes? And what did you think of the picture? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (16 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Herpes genitalis can be activated at any time if someone is infected

Detailed Answer:

Genital herpes is a viral infection that remains permanently in the nerve cells.

It can be active at any time. A condom does not protect the partner, in this case, all the time.

So if you had genital herpes before it can happen again because the virus can be activated again.

A pimple may need several days (2-3 days) to become sore and to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Dorina Gurabardhi, General & Family Physician
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi