Does a nasal polyp require medical attention?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 11 Oct 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I believe I have a nasal polyp. Have had allergies and asthma since I was 17 I am in my mid-fifties. I would never knew it was there until I looked. It doesn't appear inflamed, discolored in any way. It does appear flesh colored best I can describe. It is located in back of nostril seems it is junction of nose and sinus. Afraid to see ENT but realize I need to.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Information

Detailed Answer:

While these are usually benign, anytime there is a growth that is new (or newly recognized) it should be looked at. An ENT doctor can get a better look at it than a person can themselves.

Depending on the nature of the polyp (size, appearance), the ENT doctor may start with using nasal steroids which can help shrink it. The next step may be an injection of steroids or sometimes oral steroids.

If nothing works and it is extensive, he/she may recommend removal of the polyp.

From your description, the swelling doesn't sound too concerning, but it should be looked into.

Is there information I can give you that might help relieve your fears of having an ENT appt?

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 minutes later
I will follow up. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Your welcome and good luck.

Detailed Answer:

I'm glad to hear it.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician