Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

150 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Does a nasal polyp require medical attention?

Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3131 Questions

Posted on Thu, 11 Oct 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I believe I have a nasal polyp. Have had allergies and asthma since I was 17 I am in my mid-fifties. I would never knew it was there until I looked. It doesn't appear inflamed, discolored in any way. It does appear flesh colored best I can describe. It is located in back of nostril seems it is junction of nose and sinus. Afraid to see ENT but realize I need to.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:


Detailed Answer:


While these are usually benign, anytime there is a growth that is new (or newly recognized) it should be looked at. An ENT doctor can get a better look at it than a person can themselves.

Depending on the nature of the polyp (size, appearance), the ENT doctor may start with using nasal steroids which can help shrink it. The next step may be an injection of steroids or sometimes oral steroids.

If nothing works and it is extensive, he/she may recommend removal of the polyp.

From your description, the swelling doesn't sound too concerning, but it should be looked into.

Is there information I can give you that might help relieve your fears of having an ENT appt?

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 minutes later
I will follow up. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Your welcome and good luck.

Detailed Answer:


I'm glad to hear it.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care

Dr Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on