Does a meibomian gland disorder cause inflammation in the eyes?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Thu, 9 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I beed to ask any eye doctor some specific questions. Is the eye inflammation mm9 present when someone has meibomian gland disorder (MGD)?

I have been treating my MGD for that last 2.5 months and recently went to a new doctor. She tested me with Inflammadry which tests for inflammation in your eyes. Does Meibomian gland disorder cause inflammation in the eyes as well? My eyes are dry and evaporate less than 10 seconds. Is that due to MGD? Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both dry eyes and inflammation is common with MGD ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Yes ma'am, inflammation of the eyes is common with MGD ma'am. And so are dry eyes. Let me go ahead and list all the possible symptoms of MGD for your reference ma'am:

+Itchy eyelids
+Skin flaking around the eyes
+Dry eyes
+Blurry vision
+Excessive blinking
+At times watery eyes
+Redness of eyes
+Swelling of eyes
+Loss of eyelashes
+Burning sensation in eyes
+Dry eyes
+Crusted eyelashes after waking up in the morning
+Light sensitivity
+Misdirected eyelashes

I hope you find my response helpful ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 21 minutes later
But I have no inflammation on the outside skin around my eyes. I only have on the eyes and dry eyes. When the doctor tested me for that MM9 inflammation, it came out positive. Would that be linked to my MGD? Basically can MGD cause inflammation of the eye itself? Thanks! And will oral antibiotics help the inflammation? Im nervous the mm9 inflammation is linked to something else? Does MGD elevate this? Thanks
!
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes ma'am, it is most certainly possible; antibiotics can be tried

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

You need not have all the symptoms present on the list above ma'am.

And yes, you can have inflammation of the eye itself with MGD.

Yes MGD can elevate this way ma'am.

Antibiotics should be considered, but is not the primary line of treatment. That usually includes warm compresses, massages, flax seeds, fish oil (omega-3 supplements), and eye lid scrubs.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Thank you! And how long should i start seeing results. A couple months? And im also using artificial tears for the dry eyes .
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should take about a month, but please continue for longer

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

If the treatment is followed religiously, then it shouldn't take more than 3-4 weeks. But to see results, it should take around a week. But please note that you need to continue with the hot compresses and all the other treatment modalities even after your symptoms have completely vanished in order to prevent recurrences (2-3 months).

I hope this helps ma'am. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.