Does a lump on the scrotum indicate an STD?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Sep 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello doctor, I am concerned about a lump of skin that I noticed recently on my scrotum. It is of different colouration as compared to the rest of the skin (i would say slightly red), and appears to be a slight lump. I currently do not feel anything from the area (might feel slightly more tender and sensitive than usual), but I am concerned that this may be early stages of something.

I have had a 3 exposures to handjobs with commercial sex workers in the past 2-3 months, and another with protected sex about 4 months ago, of which HIV test after 10 weeks was negative. Does this sound/look like an STD? Would appreciate your advice on this, thank you!
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be folliculitis, doesn't look like an STD

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your complaints and reviewed the attached photograph. It looks like an evolving stage of folliculitis, which is inflammation of the hair follicle. It doesn't look like any STD.

I would recommend you to apply a topical steroid like Neosporin ointment on the affected areas twice daily for 7-10 days.
This should resolve it.It looks like an inflamed follicle.
Yes, you can apply Gentrisone cream on the affected area twice daily.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney,
Dermatologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana