Does a heart-shaped tongue usually indicate tongue-tie?

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in Dental Health
Question: Hello doctor,

At the vaccination today the doc suggested tht my baby might have a tongue tie (front)...he said to look-for if the tongue makes a heart shape or looks like pulled back....we cant figure out both by self and thus seeking help..shall be seeing a pediatrician surgeon to confirm it soon but my.question is

1. If she has a tongue tie, there shud have been difficulty in feeding from begining right...my wife n daughter have had a good latch and feed session last three months and her weight gain is good too, but off late (last two weeks)she feels pain n burning sensation in her nipples after feed, doc says it might be cos of tngue tie.....but if its tongue tie, shudnt it have been a problem be from the first day?

2. Assuming there is tongue tie, will they be facing any further breast feeding or latching hurdles? as the doc said that the rectifying procedure might happen when shs starts speeching

3. Doc suggested to meet the surgeon now and any rectification if needed will be done when she starts speech...will it be too late by then?

4. Does tongue tie always need a surgery or gets better by itself too?

5. can you please suggest a remedy or ointment for sore nipples .

Attaching a pic protuding her tongue(when she was six weeks), and pics now while she is sleeping, her tongue is resting up the roof of the mouth n u can see the frenullum thoughot very clear but i m assuming,, if there was a front tongue tie, she wudnt have been protruding her tongue so muxh.

Bw- 3.8kg
Now - 6.4 kg
pee count 10+
Active baby.... Three months as on today ! Ebf baby!

please guide
thankyou very much

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
tongue tie, milk teeth, diclofenac

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query and the images.
as per your history and images, the tongue tie might be partial, but that will not result in any difficulty in breast feeding. The burning sensation in the nipple can be secondary to trauma caused by the erupting milk teeth. Nothing to be panic, you can get the tongue tie corrected in the later stages also if it interferes with speech. You can consult a pediatric dental surgeon or oral maxillofacial surgeon and get it evaluated.
For the pain in the nipple you can apply diclofenac ointment.
I hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries reply me back. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
thankyou sir, in case of teething, shouldn we start giving her teether to suit her gums as she is putting her finger n thumb in the mouth very often...
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Teether after consulting the oral physician

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.
You can give the teether toys or rings if your baby keeps putting the fingers in the mouth after consulting the oral physician.
I hope I have answered your query. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana