Does a diuretic help treat vertigo?

Dr. Scott Rebich

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: will a diuretic help with my vertigo by getting salt out of my diet? How much should I take as there is
salt in everything? I have vertigo almost every day. Luckily I'm retired and don't have to work.
Answered by Dr. Scott Rebich 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low salt < 1 gram per day and diuretics per your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

You should have a full work up before starting any types of medication for vertigo since it is considered a symptom of a disease process. It is important to distinguish between vertigo, presyncope (patient feels like they are going to black out; vision and hearing may become obscured), disequilibrium (off balance), and light-headedness (vague, inconsistent symptoms, no rotational component). Vetigo is the sensation of movement ("room spinning") when no movement is actually occurring; results from peripheral or central causes or may be induced by medications/anxiety disorders.

A low salt diet (<1 gram a day) and diuretics are the treatment for meniere's disease. You doctor can help you with medication dosing. You should start with the lowest possible dose, and work your way up. The idea is to be on the lowest dose with the most benefit (complete resolution of symptoms). Some people get benefit with meclizine or prochloperazine. If lorazepam works, you should try an SSRI such as zoloft or prozac. Also, you should try to avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol - these can make symptoms worse. Stress and allergy may trigger vertigo symptoms.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T