• question-icon

Does a cyst on femoral head cause severe hip pain?

Posted on Wed, 23 Dec 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Can a 1.2 cm cyst on the femoral head/ acetabulum cause horrible hip and groin pain?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, if it is a bone tumour

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Yes, if the cyst is a Bone tumour like a Giant cell tumor it can weaken the femoral had and cause severe pain in the hip and groin.

It is best to get a biopsy to find out what it is and also get it treated in the form of Surgical excision, cement treatment etc.

Kindly upload the MRI Films of possible for me to be in a better position to help you.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 14 hours later
I'm sorry, the previous files were through the drop box application. Attached are some still shots that I took from the MRI. I hope this helps! Thank you!I think you need to copy the link by opening our conversation through email vs. using the app. I couldn't copy anything when using this app on my phone. But when I went to our conversation via email, it does allow you to copy links. I hope this helps. Or at least I hope the still images help.

Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
I can't see the hip joint

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

The reports you uploaded show only your abdominal organs and a ?Right femoral head.

I cannot be sure unless I get to see the cuts off your hip joint instead of your intestines.

I am not allowed to copy the Dropbox links from my phone as I am en route to a Medical camp without access to a computer, so kindly do consult the Healthcare Magic team to help you upload any other reports than those you uploaded.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later
Thank you so much for all of your help so far! I greatly appreciate it. I have been conversing with customer care, and I was told to upload the filea directly to them, via email. They said you ahould be able to access them. Please let me know if you can not. I am in so much pain I really want to know if this cyst is the reason why. My Rheumatologist ordered the Mri, and I have not spoken to her yet about the results. Unfortunately the radiologist seemed to focus on my SI joint and organs va. The hip. The technologist said I was having Pelvic and SI pain instead of hip pain. I have Psoriatic Arthritis by the way. Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Right femur head involved and arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

I have viewed the videos which were emailed to me by the Healthcare Magic team.

There is a clear cystic lesion in the right femur head and oedematous high intensity change in the joint which can indicate possible avascular necrosis of the head and accompanying arthritis.

The quality of the video wasn't allowing for a clear look at other findings like the SI Joints etc. but you definitely have a lesion in the right femoral head and possible labial tear or arthritis in the right hip joint.

Could you detail me on the report provided by your Radiologist of your MRI?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 37 minutes later
Omg, thank you so much for ur help! The rheumatologist ordered a "Pelvic" MRI with no notes or anything. So when the MRI tech saw me before the procedure she said why are you here ? I said horrible hip pain and groin pain. I stupidly mentioned I had SI inflammation previously, and she wrote down note for radiologist that I was having SI pain and Pelvic pain. So again, he focused on that. His report said everything was normal in SI, and BOTH hip joints were unremarkable! Even to my eye I can see the right is way different than the left. He said there is a cystic structure within the inferior aspect of right femoral head measuring 1.2cm. I will take a picture of the report and send it to you. I'm so frustrated. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly forward your MRI Report

Detailed Answer:
Please do forward me your MRI Report.

Inform me in your progress.
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 21 minutes later
For some reason the app does not allow me to send photos or videos directly to you, so I had to send them through email, the same way I sent the videos. I also wanted to mention I am a left BKA as of 14 years ago, so I wonder if this happened because I compensate more with my right leg/hip? I do ambulate well for a BKA however. The amputation was due to a crushed talus bone from a MVA, followed by 12 years of various ankle surgeries and finally a failed ankle replacement. So, needless to say I am so upset by this hip issue now! Please let me know if you were able to view the radiologist report I send through email to this healthcare site.THANK YOU!!!!!
Brief Answer:
Cystic lesion can be biopsied

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Yes, I have been able to view the uploaded report of the MRI.

It mentions of the cystic structure. I think a biopsy would prove to be useful to find out what it is for sure.

Do discuss the report with your Orthopaedic surgeon and follow up with me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon