Does a blood sugar reading of 112 need urgent medical attention?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Diabetes
Question: I was told last year I was pre-diabetic but my level was 112. I truly do not remember if this was a fasting test or what type of test I had. I have been having some symptoms of concern but my work schedule has not permitted me to get in to have my blood work done. Today I used an Alphatrak (k9 blood glucose meter) at my work. I'm not sure if this is calibrated different for dogs but the level was 192. I realize ultimately I need to go in and have complete blood work done but I won't be able to do so until Wednesday next week....Can I wait that long? What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can wait until Wednesday.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!
I read carefully your concerns and understood your query.
The glucose level you mentioned ( 190 mg/dl) is not an emergency and can wait until next Wednesday.
If you are not sure if the value is real, you need to go before Wednesday if you have symptoms of diabetes ; fatigue, wait loss, dry mouth ect.
Anyway, the most important tool in treating your diabetes is loosing weight. So diet and physical activity are the best treatment in your case.
Obviously alcohol withdrawal is emergency.
Hope the information will help and do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 5 hours later
Although I do drink more alcohol than I should, days I do not drink I never have any withdrawals. I do not drink all day long. I have had some eye site trouble for many years because of an injury. Now in my 40s, I feel it has worsened. Both of my parents needed readers in their 40's. I have a very strong sense of smell. Recently my urine has a very distinct smell, maybe almost vitamin like but I'm not taking vitamins.I assumed I should be drinking more water. Finally, I struggle with bad breath....not a sweet smell but really bad. I assumed it's for two reasons ..first I eat lots of Asian food with fish sauce. Second, i often go long periods of not eating because of my work schedule. When I don't eat I feel my breath is worse. I'm not having dry mouth. Last physical change is I've been getting small skin tags around my neck where my shirt collars are but nowhere else on my body. I do not have excessive thirst, but if I drink a lot of water, then I want more. I have always been this way and would agree I need to be getting more water than what I get. Do these things change anything from what the last doctor response was?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Still insist there is no emergency.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

From your prescription I would suggest that there is no emergency but you need a careful clinical examination and some biochemical exams in order to evaluate renal, liver function, gall bladder etc. for your mouth and urine odor.

If Diabetes is confirmed, then you need an examination of the eyes, lipids, heart etc. for any associated complications of Diabetes.

You may contact again for any suggestion after you have the results of the examinations.

Kind Regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee