Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Does a blood pressure of 150/85 indicate any abnormality?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 214 Questions
My blood pressure is consistenty around 150/85. My resting pulse is hovering around 50. Do I have reason for concern?
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I read your query very carefully. Yes you have some reasons to be concerned. 1. You have high blood pressure and you need to deal with this in order to avoid future complications. So i suggest: - Healthy life style (no salty food, no fats starch and alcohol.) - Increase your physical activity. - Begin medical treatment to low your BP < 130/80 mmHg. 2. Your heart rate is low (bradycardia) so you have to monitor your heart rate in order to avoid future complications. Remember never take medications that further low your heart rate (beta blockers, verapamil, diltiazem ect), because they will worsen your bradychardia. Hope i answered to your query. Dr. Sonila
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Does a blood pressure of 150/85 indicate any abnormality? 53 minutes later
Im 37, 275 pounds, 5'9. Ive been going to the gym 4-5 times a week for the past six weeks. Ive lost 20-25 pounds. My resting HR was mid to high 70's prior to the consistent excercise. My BP has been consistent at 150/85 for a few months. Does this help give you any more insight?
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 10 hours later
Brief Answer: changes&cardiac tests... Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, Being overweight is the main cause to high blood pressure. Once you will have your weight reduced, your blood pressure will be reduced too. However, as obesity is a risk factor for heart disease and hypertension, I strongly suggest to get checked: - run ECG - cardiac echo - holter monitoring You should consult a cardiologist to decide on the right treatment strategy. Besides lifestyle and diet changes, if I was your caring doctor, would start with a diuretic. Other treatment depends on the test results and cardiologist's suggestions. All the best my dear! Dr.Sonila
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor