Does a bleeding wound after a hip plate removal require stitches?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: I had a hip plate removed 10 days ago and my wound is still oozing dark blood from the drainage hole which is unstitched. Is it safe for me to request the area to be stitched. The hospital are now suggesting I have a suction drain inserted which I am not keen to do. I had a drain inserted for 5 days. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stitching will not help.

Detailed Answer:
Stitching the area completely will not help. This can cause accumulation of fluid inside the wound and can lead to infection. Introducing a suction drain will help. You may need few investigations also to rule out any infection in the area.
A CT scan of the area and culture of fluid will also help. Do consult your orthopedician for a proper examination.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
I hope this answers your query.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 days later
Hi Doctor, since my last message the orthopaedic surgeon cut the stitching to increase the drainage and has been irrigated and packed with suction gauze daily. The amount of drainage has been decreasing daily and a culture was taken 4 days ago. Should the culture come back clear, is there any medical reason why I can't be fully stitched. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Culture is likely to be clear.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A decrease in the amount of drainage is a good thing. If the wound is stitched up completely then this collection will accumulate inside and can get infected. The culture is likely to be clear as the discharge is decreasing. No need to worry. This can be stitched up after the discharge stops completely.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D