Does a bleeding abrasion from nail filing require a tetanus injection?

Dr. Kampana

Posted on Wed, 27 Sep 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I had a cut in my toe while filing my nails during pedicure a couple of days ago. It was bleeding. I had applied betadine solution. Do I need to take a tetanus injection?
Answered by Dr. Kampana 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not necessary.

Detailed Answer:

I would not recommend tetanus injection but there is no harm in taking one. In case the cut was very deep and you feel that the instrument they were using was not very hygienic you can take the injection. Or else it is not necessary. You can continue betadine solution or use Neosporin ointment till the wound heals.

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana