question-icon

Does a black or purple coloured boil require ER consultation?

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2019
Question: I already have an appointment with my primary doc for what I believe is a boil. I am diabetic and also exposed to people who have MRSA. It seems to be healing normally. It has opened and drained with significant reduction in pain. I am keeping it clean and covered. My appt is not for another two days, so am wondering if this is an emergency or okay to wait for my appt. No fever or chills, no red streaks, but it is a black purplish color, which freaks me out! And it is so gross!
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (15 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Please give details and post actual photographs if possible.

Detailed Answer:

Please give some additional information for me to assist you better:

Where is this boil?
Since when is it present?
When did it open?
What are the recent blood sugar levels and HbA1c levels?
Are you on any antibiotics or other medications.
Any other information, please?

Awaiting.
Please post clear and focused photos if possible.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr T Chandrakant, General Surgeon
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon