Does Zantac cause increased intraocular pressure?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I looked up Zantac side effects in drugs.com it lists increased intraocular pressure, I looked at Pepcid it does not list increased intraocular pressure, both being Histamine H2 Antagonists I want to know if Pepcid can cause increased intraocular pressure, I would also like to know if Benadryl, Albuterol Inhaler, Benzonatate, Mometasone Furoate Cream, Tamiflu, Allegra, and Claritin can cause increased intraocular pressure
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Here is the list.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthCareMagic

Pepcid which is famotidine is reported to be associated with increased IOP in .08% patients in a study.

Bendaryl may lead to dilatation of pupil so may precipitate an attack of narrow angle glaucoma.

Albuterol has been associated with an increased IOP.

Benonatate though has been associated with increased IOP but the incidence has been reported to be 0.07% in a study.

Mometasone Furoate has been associated with increased IOP.

Tamiflu may lead to angle closure type of glaucoma.

Allegra has been associated with increased IOP but the incidence has been reported to be 0.13% in a study.

Loratidine has not been reported to cause increased IOP

Please do get back to us if you have any further query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 47 minutes later
I need the references to these
Thank you
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Refrences

Detailed Answer:
Oseltamivir (Tamiflu)-induced bilateral acute angle closure glaucoma and transient myopia XXXXXXX J Ophthalmol. 2014 Dec;62(12):1165-7. doi: 10.4103/0301-4738.109531.

Albuterol:

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/albuterol/intraocular+pressure+increased

Benonatate:

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/tessalon/intraocular+pressure+increased

Mematosone:
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2004 Apr;32(2):224-6.
Glaucoma from topical corticosteroids to the eyelids.
Garrott HM, Walland MJ.

Claritin:
http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/claritin/intraocular+pressure+increased

Allegra:
http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/allegra/intraocular+pressure+increased
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 31 minutes later
Thank you for the references most appreciated, two references remain outstanding Pepcid, Benadryl, please provide
Thank you
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Remaining list

Detailed Answer:
Pepcid:

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/famotidine/intraocular+pressure+test+abnormal

Benadryl:

Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006 Mar;47(3):1096-100.
Intravenous administration of diphenhydramine reduces histamine-induced vasodilator effects in the retina and choroid.