Does YAZ help with acne and symptoms of PMDD?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I am currently taking a Birth Control pill Apri. 21 days on 7 off. I have always had acne and within the past couple of years have started having symptoms of PMDD. I have heard many good things about taking YAZ to help these symptoms. I know and understand the risks of YAZ. I am wondering if this might be recommended for me, and if Yaz (Dronis) (3mg/0.02mg) is what I would be looking for when ordering it online. I am in great health, do not smoke. 23 yrs old. I have been on BC for 8 years no issues.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please take after evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

YAZ cannot be used if you have migraines or some heart-related problems. So, before you switch over, please make sure that you are the right candidate for this medication by undergoing a proper evaluation by a physician and a gynecologist.

It is true that this is the treatment useful in PMDD and acne. Pregnancy needs to be strictly excluded to be on this medication as it has been shown to cause birth defects. The dosage you have mentioned also is right.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.