Does Xanax interact with Adderall?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been taking 50mg of adderall for three months. I have lost ten pounds. Three weeks ago i started taking Xanax at 2mg per day. I have now gained six pounds in that three week stretch. So for the three week period i have been taking both adderall and Xanax and gained the six pounds of weight while not eating anymore than normal. Is there and explanantion for this?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Xanax might lead to weight gain

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

Adderall is an amphetamine drug and is known to result in weight loss and this is the reason you lost weight. The drug results in tolerance and with time the increase in metabolism develops tolerance and speed of loss of weight decreases.

Xanax as such doesn't result in weight gain but taking 2 mg daily reduces physical activity and this might contribute to weight gain. This is most suitable explanation for your weight gain.

Thanks and Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D