Does Vidaza help cure myelodysplastic syndromes?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 11 Feb 2016 in General Health
Question: I did like your answer. It was helpful. Husband is now getting Vidaza chemo for his MDS. Do you have
any information on how Vidaza helps MDS syndrome. 2nd treatment and he is feeling a little weak
and nauseous . Does it get better as treatment goes on??? Any research on how it helps MDS patients.

Appreciate any information you have on this.

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vidaza suppresses multiplication and proliferation of cancerous cells!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thank you so much for this query.

I am happy to hear your husband is already taking some form of treatment. This is a good medication for MDS and it works by preventing the rapid multiplication and proliferation of cancerous cells. This significantly slows down any progress as well as repair damaged cancerous cells. Because it prevents rapidly dividing cells, it also impacts red blood cells and other rapidly dividing cells. This causes anemia which explains why they have body weakness. For this reason, he needs regular blood evaluations to monitor and correct for this. As he takes more rounds, the effects would be more gentle and these symptoms would significantly decrease.

I hope this helps. I wish your husband well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Thank you for your reply. He does go every week for a CBC. Test. What are the treatments to correct for still having low red counts.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Iron supplements, red cell production stimulating factor, transfusions, etc

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up query.

Various treatment options such as iron supplementation or administration of stimulating agents to boost the production of red cells. In extreme cases, blood transfusion may be needed. However, this is know and there are measures in place to deal with that if it arises. We monitor the CBC weekly because we can make a difference if something isn’t going right.

I hope this helps. I wish him well and keep me posted.